12 Follower

nadines

Ich lese gerade

Die Auslese - Nur die Besten überleben
Joelle Charbonneau
Geek Girl - Holly Smale Harriet, the 15-year-old heroine of this novel is a geek, she loves spreading weird facts and has no interest at all in fashion, let alone modelling, her best friend however dreams of being picked by a famous model agent, living a life in front of cameras. When the chance comes and some model agents are being expected in a mall, her friend sees immediately through Harriet's brilliant plan of pretending to be far too sick to accompany her and drags her along.

When Harriet is picked by a famous model agent, things become awkward between the friends and when Harriet isn't only called back by the agent but gets the offer of a huge campaign, she starts lying. To her best friend, who she doesn't want to hurt and to her loving step mother, who thinks the modelling business is shallow and would corrupt Harriet.

The tone is light and fun, it is a quick and easy read, unfortunately I felt that the educational message was a bit obvious and force-fed to the reader. The story is a bit too quick and hasty for my taste. I would have liked to know more about some characters, it seems like everybody but the main heroine who is such a fun character, was treated with a bit of neglect.

I enjoyed the book, the main character, Harriet, is amazing, I loved her way of thinking. She throws random facts into the story and I really like the way her brain works.

The antagonist, a girl from school however was just too much. Her actions are a bit over the top, I see the need for it as a driving force for Harriet, but somehow I felt like she was too much "designed to be bad and hated by the reader", not like a real person at all.

Overall it is a quick and fun read with minor down points.

The author actually has worked in modelling herself before she turned her back to the business.

I was given a free copy of this book via NetGalley.