12 Follower

nadines

Ich lese gerade

Die Auslese - Nur die Besten überleben
Joelle Charbonneau
Dream Caster - Najeev Raj Nadarajah 16-year-old Weaver lives in a settlement in a post-apocalyptic future. Just when his dream comes true and he becomes a Night Watcher, the settlement is being attacked by fire spitting hounds and he flees with the first stranger who set foot into the settlement on the night of the attack since Weaver himself joined the community as a child without a background.

They join another community and try to blend in, while Abanel, the stranger, is living her dream of becoming a soldier, Weaver is being chosen as a sewer cleaner. His dreams become stranger and he finds out that he has a special talent concerning dreams.

I enjoyed the mix of post-apocalypse and fantasy, the world of this novel is quite unique and very vividly painted. The portrayed dreams had just the right amount of weirdness about them.

The characters took a while to grow on me, Weaver seemed too naive, even for someone growing up in a recluse, simple society, however he developed throughout the story and became a lovable character the reader will cheer for. Unfortunately I the development he made from this naïve from an extremely naïve (bordering stupid) adolescent to someone who solves riddles, draws clever conclusions, is a bit extreme and to me it seemed a bit unbelievable.

The first chapters are addictive and I was hooked instantly. For some reason though I wasn't as glued to the pages after the first 100 pages. The plot stays thick and should have kept me hooked. There are no boring passages at all. It is either action packed or there are nice scenes between the protagonists planning and analysing what's going on. There are also some light and funny moments which I enjoyed a lot. But I only kept my slow but steady rhythm till the end.

I enjoyed the slightly old-fashioned elegant languageOne stylistic thing I didn't like (and I don't like it isn general but it happens a lot in this novel so it annoyed me a bit more here) were the thoughts of the protagonist which were given in italics. To me there are more elegant ways of distinguishing thoughts from descriptions.

There is an antagonist (Cringe) who felt quite simplisticly painted, he had zero depth and seemed just tossed into the story to be a handy counterpart, ready to be hated by the reader, making life of the protagonist hard.

I am sure this book can be enjoyed by many, unfortunately I didn't connect with it too well.

(I received a free copy of this book by the author.)