12 Follower

nadines

Ich lese gerade

Die Auslese - Nur die Besten überleben
Joelle Charbonneau
Love Overboard - Janet Evanovich 28-year-old virgin („no sex before marriage“) Stephanie wants to start a new life and buys an old house at the coast of main in a tourist town, which she wants to turn into a bed & breakfast, it is in a bad state and to get the fiancé of her friend to do some repairs she takes over her job as a cook on a small tourist boat. Here she meets Ivan, the descnendent of a famous pirate, the captain of the ship and former owner of her new house.

I have a massive problem with the writing style of Ms. Evanovich, the perspective flips from the male to the female protagonist and we get insight into both heads during a conversation. I don't mind the perspective switching from chapter to chapter, this can be interesting, but in one scene I want to stay with one protagonist. She did the same in the only other book I read by her (The rocky road to romance).

The characters are ok, quite likeable, but described in a stereotype and often cheap way. Their banter in the first half was quite nice but their chemistry was too „described“ rather than „shown“. I often felt like the author thought of her readers as not very bright but keen to read as many descriptions of the flawless chest of the male hero as possible.

The setting was wonderful, the boat and the old mansion really came to life and were a great background for the story.

I did however enjoy the flow of the story and felt quite entertained.