12 Follower

nadines

Ich lese gerade

Die Auslese - Nur die Besten überleben
Joelle Charbonneau
Poison Shy - Stacey Madden Brandon is a 29-year-old guy who never quite found the ideal job and hopped from one occupation to another, right now he is an exterminator. When he is called to clear out the appartment of Melanie and her roommate of bedbugs he instantly falls for her. She is outgoing and pretty vulgar, quite the opposite of the very shy Brandon. Against all odds they become a couple and he is pulled into the world of sex and crime of her and her roommate.

This was an interesting read, I devoured it in one sitting. It is catchy, funny, observing, disgusting, dark, crazy, shocking... I was really drawn into the story which holds some surprises for the reader and really moves from a light start to a dark place. Towards the end the story twists into a direction I didn't see coming and which I found too sudden and unnecassary. Plus it felt like it was told too quickly and too anti-climatic.

The tone is direct, sometimes uncomfortably honest, which fits the story very well, the characters were great but although we learn very much about the past and childhood of Brandon, Melanie stays a mystery which works, but I am left curious about her background and what was going on inside of her. She is a fascinating character and I would have loved to learn more about her past and future.

This is surely no „nice book“ but a great read nontheless, I will surely look out for upcoming books of this author.

(I received a free digital copy of this book via NetGalley.)