12 Follower

nadines

Ich lese gerade

Die Auslese - Nur die Besten überleben
Joelle Charbonneau
A Shimmer of Angels - Lisa M. Basso Who wouldn't think she is crazy when seeing angels since the death of her mother, especially after it was told her over and over again during the years in mental hospital, or as Ray calls it the „SS Crazy“. Just when she is finally home again and is determined to lead a sane and healthy life one of „those with white wings“ shows up in her class. Cam realizes she can see his wings and presses her to tell him why she is able to see what humans usually can't. Not great for Ray's mental state to be cornered like that by one of „her hallucinations“ of course. And to make things worse another angel shows up at the café she just started working at as a waitress. This time however with inky black wings. Can't be a good sign. Especially after some classmates start to kill themselves after having drawn pictures of black wings.

Having been very disappointed by the books about angels I read so far I didn't have really high hopes for this one, but it won me over pretty fast. It is well written, with a great sense of humour and a wonderful heroine. For the first time I could see how wings can be an appealing asset. In fact the way they are described here was intriguing and very sensual.

I see how well the love triangle in this story fits, but that doesn't help the fact that this constellation is hopelessly overused in teen-fiction. On the other hand there was just one interesting love interest for Rayna, as Cam was nothing more than blonde, handsome and busy doing „the right thing“, he doesn't have much page time anyway. Kade, the fallen angel, however was fun and witty and the conversations between him and Rayna were just great fun to read.

The story starts out pretty light but moves to a very dark place that was tough for me to get through. Overall however I enjoyed the book a lot, it is engaging and very well written. I am looking forward to the next installment.

(A digital copy of this book was given to me via NetGalley.)